Orthodontics is the area of dentistry that is concerned with treatments and procedures involving the alignment and positioning of the teeth and jaws. Crooked teeth and ill-positioned teeth are difficult to clean and are at a higher risk of decay, gum disease, etc. Poorly aligned teeth can also cause extra stress on the chewing muscles leading to neck, back and shoulder pain, headaches and TMD. Timely orthodontic treatment can give you a more pleasing appearance, long-lasting natural teeth, and a healthier mouth.
Our dental experts can determine if you are an ideal candidate for orthodontic treatment and if you can benefit from it. This is determined by a thorough evaluation of the condition of your teeth and oral health by means of dental exams, X-Rays, molds and impressions, etc. A custom treatment plan is then developed to help shift your teeth into their proper positions and give you a healthy bite.
The following oral conditions can be fixed with orthodontic treatment:
- Under bite — a "bulldog" appearance where the lower teeth are too far forward or the upper teeth too far back
- Overbite, sometimes called "buck teeth" — where the upper front teeth lie too far forward (stick out) over the lower teeth
- Cross bite — when the upper teeth do not come down slightly in front of the lower teeth when biting together normally
- Misplaced midline— when the center of your upper front teeth does not line up with the center of your lower front teeth
- Open bite — space between the biting surfaces of the front and/or side teeth when the back teeth bite together
- Crowding — when there are too many teeth for the dental ridge to accommodate
- Spacing — gaps, or spaces, between the teeth due to missing teeth or teeth that do not "fill up" the mouth
For more information about the benefits of orthodontic treatment for your teeth, please call our practice at (773) 482-3206.